Monday, October 16, 2006
Happy Canadian Thanksgiving!
In Canada, Thanksgiving in celebrated on the second Monday in October. Unlike the American tradition of remembering Pilgrims and settling in the New World, Canadians give thanks for a successful harvest. The harvest season falls earlier in Canada compared to the United States, due to the simple fact that Canada is further north.

This year I’m thankful that I was surrounded by some of my family on Thanksgiving (honestly, I can’t remember the last Canadian Thanksgiving I was home for). Anyways, dates didn’t work out perfectly since we were on the Outer Banks for the official Canadian Thanksgiving….so, I decided to delay it a week and by doing so I was able to have my Aunt Bonnie and Uncle Doug here with us too.

I think this is where I need to be a little honest. I did have a bit of an ulterior motive wanting a turkey dinner. Two things: (1) I love turkey dinner (and I haven’t had a traditional turkey dinner in a long time) and, (2) I don’t know how to cook a turkey. So my plan was to have two of the best cooks, here in my kitchen, to show me how it's done.

So, Turkey Day arrives and I’m committed to learning how to cook a turkey. But this is all I heard: “just do this….oh, little bit of that…couple spoons full, maybe more….and in the oven for 5 hours or so”. Aaaghh!!! Can we start over???

Anyways, in the end we had a wonderful turkey dinner! Not sure if I could duplicate the whole process again....but that's okay.


2 Comments:

Blogger Lysandra said...

I too love turkey! Sounds like it was a learning adventure.

Blogger Katie said...

My mom always says the turkey is the easiest part of the dinner. I just can't ever locate all the weird giblet things in various cavities!!

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer2.JPG